All-Star 21-22 Teams & Divisions

oncecoolcoachnowmom

Bestest Newbie '14
Original Poster
Mar 2, 2014
Role:
Retired From Cheer
(Figured I'd start the thread for this because this one can't go in the 20-21 thread!)

I just saw that Stingrays at Johns Creek will have tryouts this May for a new Worlds team.

Name and division are TBA.

Last edited:

luv2cheer92

Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Mar 15, 2011
DFW
totalcheerperformance.com
Role:
Athlete
(Figured I'd start the thread for this because this one can't go in the 20-21 thread!)

I just saw that Stingrays at Johns Creek will have tryouts this May for their first Worlds team.

Name and division are TBA.
They've had a couple Worlds teams. Crystal and Smoke.

Cheermom1979

Cheer Parent
Aug 25, 2019
NJ
Role:
Parent
It looks like they just advanced the birthday/cutoffs a year across the board - so essentially it is the same.
I despise the Jr spread in the age grid. Was really hoping they would change it. Especially with the press this year surrounding inappropriate behaviors in some gyms.

Feb 12, 2020
THE GYM
Role:
Athlete
I despise the Jr spread in the age grid. Was really hoping they would change it. Especially with the press this year surrounding inappropriate behaviors in some gyms.
Agree 100%
One of my teams is junior, and it's just really weird to have a 9-year-old with 17-year-olds. And one of our other junior team I'm pretty sure has a 7-year-old. It's just crazy.

oncecoolcoachnowmom

Bestest Newbie '14
Original Poster
Mar 2, 2014
Role:
Retired From Cheer
Agree 100%
One of my teams is junior, and it's just really weird to have a 9-year-old with 17-year-olds. And one of our other junior team I'm pretty sure has a 7-year-old. It's just crazy.

I think 6 or 7 has been the typical bottom of Juniors in recent memory. That does not bother me.

The issue is the newer top age being SO HIGH.

At one point, you were the oldest kid on the team if you were in 8th/9th.

I am routinely floored that you can (potentially) be in your SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL (you can turn 17 on Juniors now) with teammates in first or 2nd grade.

Like, someone reviewed that and said "GREAT IDEA!"

Cheermom1979

Cheer Parent
Aug 25, 2019
NJ
Role:
Parent
It’s so weird to compete also. My daughter crosses down to J1. Most of the squad is 9/10 she is the oldest at 13 and they compete against stacked teams of 17 year olds. It’s crazy.

I think 6 or 7 has been the typical bottom of Juniors in recent memory. That does not bother me.

The issue is the newer top age being SO HIGH.

At one point, you were the oldest kid on the team if you were in 8th/9th.

I am routinely floored that you can (potentially) be in your SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL (you can turn 17 on Juniors now) with teammates in first or 2nd grade.

Like, someone reviewed that and said "GREAT IDEA!"

Reactions: AndyT_T

SL&AM

Cheer Parent
May 13, 2014
At the gym
Role:
Parent
Agree 100%

A 7 year old on a team with 14 year olds is 100% why my CP is an ex-CP.

This new age spread is entirely inappropriate.

oncecoolcoachnowmom

Bestest Newbie '14
Original Poster
Mar 2, 2014
Role:
Retired From Cheer
Before, I feel like your average successful Junior teams had a variety of younger flyers with bases usually in MS.

Not sure what it looks like now.

Are they mostly stacked with HS kids (because why have littles if you can use experienced HS aged kids both flying and basing?)

Or are you seeing the team of HS bases with 6-8 year old flyers that you thought you'd see?

123jump4!

Cheer Parent
Aug 24, 2014
GA
Role:
Parent
Before, I feel like your average successful Junior teams had a variety of younger flyers with bases usually in MS.

Not sure what it looks like now.

Are they mostly stacked with HS kids (because why have littles if you can use experienced HS aged kids both flying and basing?)

Or are you seeing the team of HS bases with 6-8 year old flyers that you thought you'd see?

My CP is 12. She’s too big to fly. With the old junior top age of 14 she would probably have had more chance of basing. Now with a lot of 15-16-17 year olds she is not in most of the stunts. She is basing in the pyr though so getting some basing practice. The flyers are around 10 I think.

This higher jr max age has also killed the senior divisions for level 1-3 especially. There are almost no sr teams at most comps. It’s weird and I don’t like it. Are the people in charge not seeing this?

Please lower the junior max age by one birth year!

Dec 8, 2015
Role:
Parent
My CP is on a junior team, about a third of the girls are in high school. Most of the rest are in middle but a few flyers are 10-11. The wider range of junior ages has hurt senior teams I think. I also think Covid kept a lot of kids out for the season last year. We're in California, we couldn't stunt until like September. And some counties couldn't stunt at all.