All-Star The Summit 2018 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Good lord please no more divisions (I am not a fan of XS particularly since the score sheet rewards a lower amount of athletes on a team and hello CJA Bombshells killing it in the small division two years in a row proving it is not necessary!) From what I understand they didn't even use Jostens/Visa center for performances at Summit which is completely ridiculous. There is no reasonable explanation for cramming 4 mats into one arena and leaving another arena virtually empty. Varsity needs to have their planning sessions prior to happy hour from now on!

But 22 still isn't small and think about the general size of division difference between Small and Medium... the amount of teams is so much less.

Yes, it was absurd that that they crammed people in that place.. BUT looking at D2 Summit, 63 teams in Small Junior for Semis.... I wonder what the size is for each team and see if there is a clear difference... that's all I am saying.. look, I am all about less divisions too, but even in HP or Visa 63 teams in one division alternating panels with another division is still a HUGE crowd.... Just typing what is in my head!

Unfortunately, the "truth coming out" is being deemed the score sheet on social media versus an official statement from Varsity. We don't know what Stingray's was told other than a mistake was made and they were "co-champions". Protocol is an official statement needs to come from Varsity. They made the error and they need to officially and publicly clarify the situation, scores, placement, make the appropriate apologies and then state how the situation is going to be handled. After Varsity makes an official and public statement (not score sheets being put out on social media or rumors on how Varsity is going to handle it) then, if they want to, it is appropriate for Stingray's and/or GT to respond. I hope an official Varsity statement comes out soon.

That is true. It'll be interesting to see if Varsity even makes a public statement on this one. I looked at the results online and they haven't been updated to reflect a 1st and 2nd, just the * with a note about being miscalled.

Unfortunately, the "truth coming out" is being deemed the score sheet on social media versus an official statement from Varsity. We don't know what Stingray's was told other than a mistake was made and they were "co-champions". Protocol is an official statement needs to come from Varsity. They made the error and they need to officially and publicly clarify the situation, scores, placement, make the appropriate apologies and then state how the situation is going to be handled. After Varsity makes an official and public statement (not score sheets being put out on social media or rumors on how Varsity is going to handle it) then, if they want to, it is appropriate for Stingray's and/or GT to respond. I hope an official Varsity statement comes out soon.
True. And, we don’t know if the correct scoresheets were handed out to coaches immediately following the end of the division. It sounds like they may have been given “Hit Zero” pins day 2. Even though they had a deduction. I can definitely empathize with both programs being is such a predicament. And had I been with The Rays program, I’d have been looking for confirmation from Varsity, knowing so much had been done incorrectly.

However, this whole situation speaks to the need for scoring transparency along every step of the way. Had scoresheets not been made public I can guarantee it would have been swept under the rug.

So, does anyone think that Lady Red issue would have been resolved (however messily) without the scoresheets being published for the public?

I’m so glad I’ve had people willing to share the information with me and trust me to keep their identities secret.

The fear of retaliation is real.

I just checked results on Varsity and it has them placed as first and second.

Glad to hear. When I looked this morning it hadn't been switched.

So, does anyone think that Lady Red issue would have been resolved (however messily) without the scoresheets being published for the public?

I’m so glad I’ve had people willing to share the information with me and trust me to keep their identities secret.

I don't think so.

No way. If the scores had not gotten out Varsity would have rug swept and this would have become just another example of how the lack of transparency in cheer hurts the sport. Thank you again for sharing all the scoresheets.

i think the scoresheets would have been made public regardless at some point, especially when you have a dozen or so coaches with a scoresheet in their hand, i cant imagine gymtyme coaches keeping quiet permanently about how their kids were robbed of a win. I mean i want to hope that varsity would have fixed the situation even if they werent made public. But i also dont think making two teams co champions was a good fix, when the scores clearly show who was really the champion.

but also varsity, probably wouldnt have taken or is taken full blame anyways, they would have just blamed the announcer guy for all their problems...

It seemed that coaches knew there was something amuck during awards. I can't imagine there will be a day where score sheets won't be released to coaches, so as long as they have their score sheets, placement errors would be noticed.
I think the fact that so few score sheets were released for Summit is as concerning as Varsity choosing not to make scores public. It is very true that there are gym owners and coaches who do not want their scores being out in the open. I know of teams who's coaches/owners are refusing to share score sheets with the athletes on the team - most of whom are adults. Poor coaching and gym ownership should not be able to hide behind unpublished scores.

Scoresheets are only the tip of the iceberg for the issues that are happening as to secrecy and lack of transparency related to Allstar Cheerleading. I will say would be similar to boxing match not announcing the scores and just the winners, or figure skating not announcing scores and just the order(we all know that figure skating and boxing have never(HA!) had issues with judging corrupted.
What really should concern us is that the USASF has decided based on the feedback from membership(gyms and EPs, not athletes)to not make the rules public. No other sport or activity hides its rules, and I am told that the gyms complained about untrained or non-members providing training to athletes based on the rules. Name me another activity/sport that doesn't allow it's rules and scores to be known by the public? This is not going in the right direction, and until we as parents stand up and begin making this issues public, involving media and pressure this will not change.

No. In the case of World's and Summit where it is a final and the divisions are being scored in one arena with one judging panel, transparency makes sense.

With that said, when it comes to bids, multiple arenas and judging panels in a sport where scoring is not exact, it makes sense they would want to base bids on a review versus solely on scores. This problem is more than transparency, because even a published score is not transparent. Unlike Olympic skating where you have an announcer on TV speaking over their performance explaining every reason why their score is going to reflect high or low, cheer fans don't have that luxury.

Scoresheets are only the tip of the iceberg for the issues that are happening as to secrecy and lack of transparency related to Allstar Cheerleading. I will say would be similar to boxing match not announcing the scores and just the winners, or figure skating not announcing scores and just the order(we all know that figure skating and boxing have never(HA!) had issues with judging corrupted.
What really should concern us is that the USASF has decided based on the feedback from membership(gyms and EPs, not athletes)to not make the rules public. No other sport or activity hides its rules, and I am told that the gyms complained about untrained or non-members providing training to athletes based on the rules. Name me another activity/sport that doesn't allow it's rules and scores to be known by the public? This is not going in the right direction, and until we as parents stand up and begin making this issues public, involving media and pressure this will not change.

I’ve long been a proponent of full disclosure and a critic of USASF making the rules private. I had a long call with Jim Chadwick about it. His reason was that their attorneys said they had to do it to protect their copyright on the rules. He said a number of groups in the US and around the world we’re just copying and using the rules without being a member.

I don’t completely buy it, but that’s what I was told. For the record, I do understand having to follow advice of counsel as a c suite exec, even when you disagree.

Take this as you will.

The website states “*Due to an incorrect announcement of placements during the final awards ceremony the results above will be the final placements for this division”
No way. If the scores had not gotten out Varsity would have rug swept and this would have become just another example of how the lack of transparency in cheer hurts the sport. Thank you again for sharing all the scoresheets.
agree. Varsity would have just brushed it under the rug and the only people who would have known would have been varsity and maybe the coaches. I’m grateful for the transparency. FINALLY

I’ve long been a proponent of full disclosure and a critic of USASF making the rules private. I had a long call with Jim Chadwick about it. His reason was that their attorneys said they had to do it to protect their copyright on the rules. He said a number of groups in the US and around the world we’re just copying and using the rules without being a member.

I don’t completely buy it, but that’s what I was told. For the record, I do understand having to follow advice of counsel as a c suite exec, even when you disagree.

Take this as you will.

This is very interesting and also something I can understand. My background is specifically in consulting around data, records and information security.

If I were consulting in a similar situation, keep in mind I don't have all the data I normally would, this is what I would be what I would tell them:

Dislclaimer: *The below does not act as a legal opinion nor is this contracted consulting arrangement. It is not a statement of fact, but instead a possible option based on very limited amount of information that is publicly available. No person or persons should act on the below statements.*

"It would be of my professional opinion that from that standpoint you should always restrict access to proprietary information to only those who need access to it, limiting ones risk exposure. That being said a proper risk assessment would likely reveal that giving access to member of the organization who are not Gym Owners or Coaches likely poses a "slight to moderate" risk of an information breach, and simple steps can be taken to mitigate those risks."

The real question is whether the USASF is a governing body or a corporation(I know it is a governing body)?

Alright now I will stop putting everyone to sleep and go back to being an idiot parent on a cheerleading board...

Back