All-Star The Summit 2018 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is very interesting and also something I can understand. My background is specifically in consulting around data, records and information security.

If I were consulting in a similar situation, keep in mind I don't have all the data I normally would, this is what I would be what I would tell them:

Dislclaimer: *The below does not act as a legal opinion nor is this contracted consulting arrangement. It is not a statement of fact, but instead a possible option based on very limited amount of information that is publicly available. No person or persons should act on the below statements.*

"It would be of my professional opinion that from that standpoint you should always restrict access to proprietary information to only those who need access to it, limiting ones risk exposure. That being said a proper risk assessment would likely reveal that giving access to member of the organization who are not Gym Owners or Coaches likely poses a "slight to moderate" risk of an information breach, and simple steps can be taken to mitigate those risks."

The real question is whether the USASF is a governing body or a corporation(I know it is a governing body)?

Alright now I will stop putting everyone to sleep and go back to being an idiot parent on a cheerleading board...

I went to Summit with my daughter last year and we both loved it....I'm thinking the new arena which was thought to be awesome, just created a lot of problems. And maybe the increased bids increasing the size of the competition? I wasn't there this year so I have zero idea.

I went to Summit with my daughter last year and we both loved it....I'm thinking the new arena which was thought to be awesome, just created a lot of problems. And maybe the increased bids increasing the size of the competition? I wasn't there this year so I have zero idea.
It was a combination of the increased number of bids, how they divided the new arena and the fact that it rained. It was a nightmare this year.

It was a combination of the increased number of bids, how they divided the new arena and the fact that it rained. It was a nightmare this year.
Overcrowding in the new arena was one issue but not a major one...
These are the ones I have heard so far:
1. Ran out of medals for the athletes
2. Place a 2nd place team first and a first place team second
3. Placed a 3rd place team fifth
4. Not fixing placements after mistakes were realized
5. Only one exit and entrance to the arena that didn't require readmission to WWOS.
6. Feeds that went out

Overcrowding in the new arena was one issue but not a major one...
These are the ones I have heard so far:
1. Ran out of medals for the athletes
2. Place a 2nd place team first and a first place team second
3. Placed a 3rd place team fifth
4. Not fixing placements after mistakes were realized
5. Only one exit and entrance to the arena that didn't require readmission to WWOS.
6. Feeds that went out

The arena worked fine for Worlds when it was 1 floor, but it did not seem to handle the workload well at all when it was 3 (+1 for reveals/awards). My non-professional opinion is that there were a few major flaws with the new arena:

1. All convenient entrances/exits dumped into a single small area that was shared with the park entrance, the pro shop, the waiting area for teams prior to warmup, and parents waiting for athletes after performance. This was a huge bottleneck the whole weekend. It seems like a MASSIVE fail of designing traffic flow. It got worse when it rained, but it was going to be an issue regardless. I simply cannot understand why they didn't see this coming and I don't see how they are going to fix it.

2. Audio isolation was terrible. The sound heavily bled into other floors, so they had to keep routine music at low level. I hate how loud music is usually played at every other event, but this was way too far the other way. Athletes could mostly hear their music, but it was far softer than many of them practice to. I didn't see any stage monitors - the only speakers seemed to be high, far from the floor, and poorly aimed.

3. "Backstage" area was way too crowded. The little hallways between venues were too small and teams had no quiet, private space to pray/chat/talk like they do at every other event. They had to constantly tell teams to move out of the way to leave enough room to walk. It messed with the "vibe" prior to performances.

4. Divided floors left too little spectator room. The Worlds setup was a big improvement over the previous years, but still wasn't really large enough for the peak crowds. They will still have to divide up the popular divisions to make it work. Split into 4 floors, anything more than a medium crowd wouldn't fit. I was expecting far more seating overall.

5. (minor) The "push play" area was too far away, but the coaches were too close/constrained overall. Staff had to remain seated and were too close to get an overall view of the routines.

6. (minor) Confusion/Lack of signage telling you which floor was which. (backstage area) They get "cool" points I guess for the colored tape and colored lights for the sign, but there was blue tape for two of the arenas, and all of the information used "North, South, East, West". You can keep all of that, just please put some signs that say "North", "South", etc. You could see many people in the middle trying to orient themselves, use their mental maps, come up with memory tricks to remember the color/direction breakdown, or even breaking out the compass app on their phones, but signs would have been a ton easier.

It appears as though it was designed to be swapped between 1, 2, or 4 floor setups. It was OK for 1, and bad for 4. It doesn't look like 4 is going to work without some serious changes. That leaves 1 or 2 - and if it was going to be 1 or 2 floors, it seems like there would have been better designs.

Positives:

1. Sight lines were pretty good for most of the spectators.
2. Warmup rooms were well-designed and safe.
3. Concessions seemed better setup than usual.
4. It was fairly easy to move from floor to floor for spectators and staff.
5. Everything felt new and clean.

Having the new arena is better than not having it, and I'm sure it will get better as they experiment with different setups, but I was disappointed overall given how much hype they had put in to it.

Last edited:
Really wish everyone on here would stop bad mouthing my future gym. Stingrays is an amazing gym and program...and if yall can honestly decide yall no longer like a gym because of one incident(that I personally never saw proof of) then some of yall are just as childish, immature, and pretty as the cheer anond on Twitter yall complain about.
You’re starting off leaving a pretty negative impression AND associating yourself with a gym that has a good reputation for the most part ( which you are not a part of yet). You might want to rethink how you approach things using their name. And there wasn’t badmouthing. There was a discussion about what happened, and how people thought it should be handled by a gym. Yes people thought that it was unwise for a gym to accept a championship they didn’t earn, which it appears the gym ultimately agreed with. And yes people didn’t like the way some portrayed themselves on social media. But you really shouldn’t take it upon yourself to speak for them, especially in this manner.

Stingrays is trash gym... just like you. You will hit in perfectly. Now please leave this site you're unwanted here just like you were at our old school.

You are in the wrong, this is bullying. Let her be if you don’t agree with her opinion or have something constructive to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol...honey I have seen plenty of bad mouthing towards the gym due to one incident but than again that's just MY opinion on what some of yall are saying on here.
I’d prefer you didn’t call me honey, but to each their own. You’re missing my point... a gym with a good reputation, like Rays usually expects that you represent them well. That is why the poor conduct on social media was noticed in the first place. That is why it was shocking to some that they accepted the champion title. ( I personally have chosen to give them the benefit of the doubt because if the announcements were made incorrectly then I think it is reasonable to assume that they wanted confirmation of what happened before responding. Seems like a lot of confusion). You being rude about it isn’t likely to help anything, and it seems unwise to link yourself to poor conduct before you even start there. That being said, good luck to you. And I’m sorry that someone else is responding on a personal level with you. I’m really trying to point out something that I think might be helpful to you. If it isn’t that’s okay too.

Really wish everyone on here would stop bad mouthing my future gym. Stingrays is an amazing gym and program...and if yall can honestly decide yall no longer like a gym because of one incident(that I personally never saw proof of) then some of yall are just as childish, immature, and pretty as the cheer anond on Twitter yall complain about.

Most people understand, or now realize, that coaches are only provided their own score sheet, unless they choose to share. When a team is told a mistake was made and they are now co-champions, there is no reason to question it, they don't have the scores. When the scores were released to the public, it got ugly, people assumed they knew all along and those people are responsible for their own words and responses on both sides. Many tweets came down, some apologies were made, and those that hated them in the past will continue to hate them, the others will give grace. Bottom line, any gym in the same situation would, and should, have waited for clarity from Varsity, not Joe Blow or a score sheet on Twitter. No defending necessary, good luck at tryouts.

Another question for D2 Summit, is the premium/platinum parking worth it?
We’ve done platinum for Worlds the past 2 years because I was lazy af and at this point another $40 for cheer was a spit in the ocean. We did take advantage of it and left and came back several times without issue. Last year they gave us free water bottles but someone seemed to forget about that this year .

Most people understand, or now realize, that coaches are only provided their own score sheet, unless they choose to share. When a team is told a mistake was made and they are now co-champions, there is no reason to question it, they don't have the scores. When the scores were released to the public, it got ugly, people assumed they knew all along and those people are responsible for their own words and responses on both sides. Many tweets came down, some apologies were made, and those that hated them in the past will continue to hate them, the others will give grace. Bottom line, any gym in the same situation would, and should, have waited for clarity from Varsity, not Joe Blow or a score sheet on Twitter. No defending necessary, good luck at tryouts.

I do not know the entire story regarding the Summit announcement error, but I haven't seen anything that I would fault Stingrays for. It was a very regrettable error by the Summit folks, but you simply can't fault the coaches for, at least initially, fighting for their team and kids. I would like to think that most programs would eventually return an award that was obviously given in error, but I don't think it is fair to put a judgmental stopwatch to that process. It takes time to sort through exactly where the mistakes occurred. I certainly wouldn't be sprinting to hand back a Summit banner simply based on what I had seen on twitter. I would want to confirm with Varsity and make them double-check the results. I assume that is roughly what happened. Awards, particularly season-ending ones, are full of emotion and it takes a while to process everything and gather your thoughts.

When the scores were released to the public

Just to clarify, the scores weren’t “released” to the public. They were provided by people wanting to make sure there is transparency in scoring as well as helping to resolve situations like this.

It’s interesting to think what would have happened if the public didn’t have the actual scores.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the scores weren’t “released” to the public. They were provided by people wanting to make sure there is transparency in scoring as well as helping to resolve situations like this.

It’s interesting to think what would have happened if the public didn’t have he actual scores.

Released, provided, leaked, whatever works for understanding. It's obvious what would have happened, it actually happened, Varsity chose to resolve an employee error at their discretion. While I may not agree, I respect the fact this had absolutely nothing to do with poor scoring, judges, or tie breakers. An employee made a mistake and we don't know how quickly it was realized (on stage or off) or by whom, but the celebrating was in progress and placement Tweets were out there. I'm sure there will be a policy for the books going forward, however, there are no villains or heroes in this scenario, just a really unfortunate error.

I am just completely disappointed in Varsity this year! Scoring on day 2 seemed low and teams that had deductions pulled in front of teams who had zero deductions and much higher scores day 1. I honestly think they need to go back and look at scoring in all levels since it is obvious they are responsible for errors. Parents and athletes put too much time and money into this sport for them not to be acknowledged correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back